Thursday, May 31, 2012

Some Firsts

I've had some exciting firsts this week I wanted to share with y'all.  First...a quick little update on my little hip situation.

I went to the doctor today.  I seem to be healing as expected, but am nowhere close to a full recovery right now.  Running is still in the far horizon.  I'm still to use crutches for the next 4 weeks, and he wants me to start physical therapy twice a week.  So I do PT twice a week for the next month, and then have a recheck and go from there.  I've been given a little freedom to start working out a bit more, within limits, so I'm doing a little (crutching) happy dance!

Now my firsts:
I did my very first yoga class last night.  It was amazing.  I recently joined a new gym, and they have a ton of classes that you can attend that are included in your membership.  Score.  I've been wanting to do a yoga class for ages but never want to pay the pricey fees for the classes.  So last night I worked up the courage and went to one.  The class I attended:

Ashtanga Yoga-a sequenced yoga practice which utilizes breath, poster, and movement to cleanse, stretch, and strength the body and mind.  It is a powerful and strenuous routine which will leave your body totally revitalized.

I must be honest, I was nervous as crap before I went in.  I started seeing Lululemon-clas girls walking through the locker room, and I almost psyched myself out.  But I decided to just man up and do it.  I of course took a spot in the back corner of the room mostly so people couldn't see me, but also so I could watch other people in case I got lost.

In the end, I loved the class.  I definitely felt like a newbie and didn't know all the poses and whatever, but I felt great afterwards.  I have to watch my leg and be careful doing certain things, but I was mostly able to keep up.  Bonus-it is a heated room, so I was pouring sweat.  Double win.

My other first is tonight I did a spin class.  Hanna over at bouffe e bambini  started raving out them, as she started doing them after a shin injury.  Reading what she wrote made me want to try it, and I'm so glad I did.  I definitely have to modify it to fit my hip at the moment, but I loved the class.  Hip was sore afterwards, but I felt like it was worth it.  Not as great as running, but still a good sweat.  

Back to my happy dance for being active again.  Wee.

Juneathon starts tomorrow! Who's ready?!
(of course tomorrow may be the one day I don't get a work out in.  I have a crazy day scheduled.  But I'm going to try my hardest.  Just being honest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me so happy :) Share some love!