I'm about to let you all in on a little secret...my favorite appetizer ever. I mean seriously...ever! It is the most amazing thing ever, and is always a hit no matter where I bring it. My mom actually found this recipe years and years ago one day while she was taking me to the pediatrician while flipping through a magazine in the waiting room. It's so easy to make, and works for all seasons. I'm making it for my party on Friday, and with all the holidays coming up, you may want to introduce it at one of your parties in the near future!
Please pardon my terrible pan, I forgot to bring the baking dish from my house to my apartment...oops! I had to buy a disposable serving dish, and just cut it up before actually serving it. I normally use a round stone baking dish.
Tomato Basil Tart
1 rolled refrigerated unbaked pie-crust
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
4 Roma or small regular tomatoes
3/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup grated
Fresh basil leaves
1) Unroll the pie-crust according to package directions. Line a 9 inch tart pan with the crust. Press into sides of pan,trim edges. Don't prick.
2) Bake the tart in a 450 degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until slightly dry. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with. Cool in pan on wire rack. Reduce oven to 375 degrees.
3) Cut tomatoes into wedges. Drain the wedges on paper towels. Arrange the tomato wedges over the melted cheese in the baked crust.
4) In a food processor bowl, combine basil and garlic. Cover and process until coarsely chopped. Or snip the basil and mince the garlic by hand.
5) In a medium mixing bowl, combine the basil-garlic mixture, the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese, the mayonnaise, and the grated Parmesan cheese. Spread the mixture evenly over the tomato wedges.
6) Bake the tart in a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until cheese is golden. Let the tart stand 5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm. If you like, garnish with additional basil leaves.
Makes 8 appetizer or 4 main dish servings.
Enjoy enjoy enjoy. Seriously, I promise...you will not be disappointed!!